Adalyn: Whirlwind (Short Story #10)

See, I told you I would post something at least once a week! I know the week is really over but it doesn't truly start a new week until Monday, right?! Right! Besides, I gave you two posts last week! Anyway, here's a new short story for you guys to enjoy. It's from Adalyn's point of view and if you read Turn It Off you'll know that she mentioned her dad had a history of drug abuse while she was trying to help Peyton with his problem. This is about one of those moments.

Read the short story from last week here: Ronan: It's Always Her (Cont.)


Listen to "Shouldn't Come Back" by Demi Lovato on repeat while reading for the full experience: 



Adalyn: Whirlwind 


                They’re arguing again. I love my dad but I think he’s lost his mind. I know any moment now my brother will come into the room to have someone to escape the madness with. This is an ongoing thing now. He’s always had a history with drug abuse but it seems the addiction is back and all I want is for him to go away. He doesn’t understand the pain he causes when he lets his demon get the best of him. He’s not the same person. 

                My father’s a very successful business man. He owns a chain of “do it yourself” hardware stores across the country. He’s won many awards for his achievements yet he’s a drug addict. No one ever thinks an addict can look as clean cut and intelligent as he is but then again most people don’t know the truth. They only go by what they see in the media and on TV. He’s not the poster child for drug abuse when it comes to looks but his behavior…

                It hurts so much. My mom tries so hard to keep the family together and pretend that it’s all normal but both Mike and I knew. We can hear them through the thin walls. We’ve seen the evidence around the house. The thing about drug addicts is they get sloppy. They can hide it for a while but soon nothing else matters to them but their drugs. It’s the same thing that started to happen to Peyton. It’s how I knew before anyone else. 

                Speaking of Peyton, I wish I could talk to him about it but he’s busy trying to get himself clean in rehab. I can’t tell him that my dad fell off the wagon again while he’s trying so hard to get on. It’s almost like I can’t win. No one else knows about my dad’s problem outside of the family except for Peyton. He’s not only my boyfriend but my best friend. I’ve never felt so alone before. 

                My brother knocks on my door before I yell for him to come in. I already knew who it was. He closes the door behind him and sits on my bed. 

                “They’re going at it again,” he says staring down at the floor.

                “What happened this time?” I ask sitting next to him.

                “Mom found a needle on the floor in the bathroom.” He looked so disgusted when he said it. I felt the same way on the inside. 

                “Oh. I figured it was something like that when mom yelled something about rehab.”

                “Adalyn, is it ever going to get better? Will he ever just quit or is this just going to be a sick cycle?” he asks finally looking up at me.

                I remained quiet for a while before answering. “I don’t know. I hope he just quits and be done with it for good.” I pause before saying what I really wanted. “Sometimes I think we’d be better off without him.”

                Mike looks at me like he wants to disagree but I know he can’t. “I know what you mean,” he says quietly. “But he’s our dad so we have to find a way to help him. I don’t want to lose him to this.”

                “We just might though…”

                I couldn’t be optimistic about anything. My boyfriend was in rehab for the summer while my dad should be in a rehab. Why is this my life at 15? Why is this my brother’s life at 14? We’re too young for these kinds of problems. It’s slowly ruining us. My father is ruining us. That pains me. 

                Maybe he should go away for a while…and maybe he shouldn’t come back. Him being here is just a whirlwind of chaos.


Don't forget to pick up your copy of Turn It Off and the rest of the series here: A Tragic Heart Series

               
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uninspired (OctPoWriMo2014)-Day 14

Press Stardom (OctPoWriMo2014)-Day 17

"Society" (OctPoWriMo2014)-Day 20