Peyton: The One (Short Story)

Earlier today I posted that I would start writing short stories based on the characters from my books. I didn't know I would start so soon but the writing bug bit me tonight. The first story is told from Peyton's (the one from A Tragic Heart) POV. I thought, "Why not start with a fan favorite?"

The short story is entitled, "The One" and takes off from the part in A Tragic Heart where he and Taylor comes back from their vacation with Mason in Australia. If "The One" belonged to a book it would fit right in with What Could've Been. It's an excerpt based on Peyton not going for a ride that night in A Tragic Heart. Enjoy!

Listen to the song "Cherry" by Moose Blood while reading:

https://soundcloud.com/nosleeprecords/moose-blood-cherry





Peyton: The One
           
           It’s hard to believe in just a few short days I’ll be leaving her just to follow my dreams. It feels a little selfish but I know she wouldn’t want it any other way. A few years ago I wouldn’t have dreamed of deciding to live my dream or staying home for a girl…I never thought I would be so tempted to choose the second choice. 

            I run my fingers through her black hair as her head is on my lap. She fell asleep on the couch while we cuddled watching TV. It’s nothing new. She does this all the time; suggests we should watch something but falls asleep not even thirty minutes in. The thought puts a smile on my face. 

            We just got in from our trip to Australia with Mason and we’re both a little jet lagged. I’m surprised she was able to fall asleep so easily. During most of the trip I was a little bothered thinking about how I would have to leave her almost as soon as we get back from our trip. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed myself with her and my cousin, it’s exactly what I needed but it was bittersweet knowing that everything finally fell into place when I have to leave. 

            I thought about going for drive to clear my head but decided to stay right here with her. Usually a drive out on the town would help but I thought why leave her when I have to be out of here in a few days anyway. Besides, it’s pouring out there and that may not be a wise decision. I want to savor every moment with her…even if it means watching her sleep. 

            Funny how two years ago I was a kid running wild and now here I am, engaged and ready to start a family with the most amazing girl I’ve ever met. I’m only seventeen and four months shy of my eighteenth birthday but I feel like I’ve aged at least a decade since then. 

            I leaned over to kiss her softly on the side of her face. She moves around a little before finally waking up. She sits up and yawns with a stretch. God, she’s so adorable! I admire every second of this moment. 

            “Hey, what happened? You were watching it without me!” she whines as she looks back and forth from the TV and me. 

            I smirk at her and shake my head a little. I knew this part was coming. She falls asleep and then blames me for still watching the show. 

            “Actually, I was watching you,” I correct her. 

            “Well, that’s not creepy at all,” she replies sarcastically. 

            “So you’d rather me watch the movie without you?” I raise one eye brow and stare at her.

            “Ugh! Shut up and kiss me.”

            I love when she demands me to do something. She can be so feisty at times and I must admit I love it. I submitted to her and did as I was told. She always demands me to kiss her when she knows she’s lost a debate. 

            “I can’t wait to marry you,” I whisper to her before she kisses me again. 

            “Neither can I,” she replies after biting her bottom lip. She knows what that does to me. 

            I start to caress her arm and she knows what’s coming next. I can’t keep my hands or eyes off of her. Every day is almost like I’m just seeing her for the first time. 

            “Aren’t you tired?” she asks with her head slightly tilted to the side.

            “Not tired enough,” I say staring into her beautiful green eyes. 

            I pull her into me and kiss her a little rougher this time. She doesn’t interrupt and goes along with it. I grab the sides of her face and lightly run my fingers through her hair. She does the same to me, letting me know we’re on the same page. 

            I lay her on the couch and she bites her bottom lip and lets out a small laugh. She excites me in the most non-sexual way possible. I genuinely love her and adore every little thing about her. I can’t imagine this any other way. 

            I slowly lean myself on top of her just to stare into her eyes. I have to reposition myself because my side is still sore from the stab wound Karson gave me. She notices it and lightly touches my side. 

            “It’s okay. We don’t have to,” she says with a serious look. 

            “No, no, I’m fine. I’m good,” I assure her. I kiss her once more and I feel her hand touch the back of my neck. It gives me chills in the best way. “I hate that I have to leave you so soon.” I stare at her waiting for a reply.

            “It’ll be okay. We’ll be okay. Go follow your dreams and have the time of your life with your band. I’ll be right here waiting for you when you get back.” She smiles at me and I can’t help but smirk back. 

            “This is why I love you so much,” I respond kissing her on the cheek.

            “I can’t even begin to mention the reasons why I love you,” she says.

            We kiss again but this time it lasts for much longer. She knows how to make me feel good about any situation. That’s when you know you’ve met the one. I can’t wait to leave so I can come back home to my baby. 

Find out more about Peyton and Taylor in the RED Tragedies series here! They appear in A Tragic Heart, Turn It Off (Coming Soon), and What Could've Been (Coming Soon)!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uninspired (OctPoWriMo2014)-Day 14

Press Stardom (OctPoWriMo2014)-Day 17

Halfway Mark (OctPoWriMo2014)-Day 15