Mason: The Brothers Club (Short Story)

New week, new short story! You can check out last week's right here (Taylor: The Greatest Liar). This week the story comes from Mason's point of view and if it fit a book it would be Turn It Off (Book 3 of the series). We know a little about this scene from A Tragic Heart (Book 1) when Mason confessed something to Peyton but it was never played out. Well, now it is! The story is entitled "The Brothers Club" and I hope you enjoy! It's a tad bit longer than the previous two.

Listen to "Ink" by Coldplay on repeat while reading:

https://soundcloud.com/deepak-pal-4/coldplay-ink-from-ghost-stories-live-2014-128-kbps-audio-only




Mason: The Brothers Club
             
            The doorbell rang for a second time before I decided to hop off the couch and answer it. My mom and dad are gone and Peyton is God knows where. Ever since he and Adalyn broke up, he’s been going down that slippery slope again. I’m a little afraid for him to be honest. 

            “I’m coming!” I yell towards the door as I make it down the hallway. 

            I open it to see Adalyn standing in front of me. Obviously, she’s here for Peyton. Lately, all these two do is yell at each other and then make up. I never thought it would be like that for them. She’s so good for him and they were happy for about a year straight. I thought she would be the girl to set him straight and keep him that way. I guess it’s true, we can’t change people. All I know is, he’s a fool! Adalyn is the closest thing to perfection we’ll get in this world. As she stands in front of me, she looks like a model who was snatched right out of a Maxim magazine cover. 

            “Oh hey, Adalyn! What’s going on?” I ask standing in the doorway.

            “Hey, Mason, is Peyton home?” she asks looking past me and into the house.

            She slowly moves her blonde hair away from her face. I never realized how bright her eyes are…they’re the perfect honey brown. 

            “Uh, no, he’s not. He left not too long ago. I have no idea where he went and how long he’ll be.”

            “Oh,” she replies in a disappointed tone. “I just wanted to talk to him about what happened the other night.”

            “You mean, about you two breaking up?” I ask raising one eyebrow. 

            She bites her bottom lip pretty hard before responding. “Uh, yeah. Of course he told you,” she says nonchalantly. “He tells you everything.”

            “Well, you’re welcomed to come in and wait for him if you’d like. He may be back in a little while,” I proposed. 

            She looked around for a few seconds before answering. “Okay, it’s not like I have anything better to do anyway.”

            I move to the side to let her in and she moves past me swiftly. She stops in the family room and turns to me. 

            “The Breakfast Club?!” she says with a wide smile. “That’s what you’re watching?!”

            “Uh, yeah…” I reply a little embarrassed. “There was nothing else on and-“

            “That’s awesome! This is my favorite movie!”

            She sits in the very same spot I was in just before I answered the door. Looks like I’m stuck watching The Breakfast Club with Adalyn. I admit I’m a fan of the movie too. I’m sure there was more to choose from but what can I say? I like a good 80’s movie. 

            The time speeds by and the end of the movie comes faster than I remember; yet there’s still no sign of Peyton. In a way, I enjoy him not being here. Spending time with Adalyn isn’t so bad. It’s actually a first for me. Every time she’s around Peyton’s with her. I never got a chance to get to know her. 

            “Hey, uh, so you want a beer or something while you wait for Peyton or do you have to go?” I ask a little more nervously than I should have.

            “A beer sounds not so bad right about now. Like I said, I have nothing to do,” she answers with a smirk. 

            I quickly head to the kitchen and take two of my dad’s beers out of the refrigerator. I come back and hand it to her. 

            “Thanks,” she says as she takes it from my hand. “You know, it’s a pretty nice night. Want to go out back and hang for a while?”

            “Sure! That sounds cool.”

            I lead the way and she follows along. Before I know it we’re both drinking and talking. She tells me about why she decided to break up with Peyton and how she’s honestly just worried about him and his state of mind. 

            “Has he seemed really off lately? Should I be worried?” she asks as if she truly cares about him. I can see how much she loves him. He started off as her best friend and bandmate and then became so much more. Peyton was her first for everything. 

            “He’s…” I pause for a few seconds. “He’s been drinking…a lot.”

            “Oh God!” she says as her eyes widen. “Has he-“

            “No, I don’t think so,” I answer before she can even ask the question. She’s worried he started using the hard stuff again. Peyton just got out of rehab last summer and we’re all a little afraid he’ll end up much worse if he goes back down that route again. 

            “Just keep an eye on him. I know he probably won’t let me get that close to him for a while,” she says moving her curly blonde hair behind her ear. 

            Just as she finishes her sentence, the sprinklers pop up and starts to spray us both. It’s unexpected and hilarious. We both squirm and fight to not get wet but it’s useless; we’re drenched by the time we make it back into the house. 

            We’re laughing as I close the back door. Her hair is sticking to her face and I slick mine back.
            “Well, uh, you can’t go home like that. Come upstairs and let me give you a shirt at least,” I say with a smile.

            She follows me up the stairs and into my room. I pick out something that I know wouldn’t look too big on her. 

            “Thank you,” she says as I hand it to her. 

            I walk out the room only to double back when I realize I probably should have offered her a pair of my basketball shorts to go with it. I open the door without knocking only to see her in her bra.
            “Oh, uh, I’m really sorry, I uh-“I begin to say.

            She laughs a little and tells me it’s okay. “I’m in a bra, not naked,” she laughs.

            “O-kay,” I say awkwardly. “Uh, well since you don’t mind I was just coming in to offer you a pair of shorts.”

            “Sure Mason, a pair of shorts would be great,” she says still in her laced pink bra.
            I stare at her longer than I should. She starts to unbutton her pants but I don’t even think to leave.

“This is the part where you should probably walk out,” she jokes, “unless you don’t want to…” 

I know it was meant as a joke but some part of me took it as a proposition. 

“What if I don’t want to?” I ask not taking my eyes off of her. 

Her face turns serious and we both stand there staring at each other. I make the first move and walk closer. She doesn’t move so I get as close as I can. I touch her wet hair and she looks up at me.
“Mason…” she says softly while looking into my eyes.

“I know…this is wrong but…” I can’t even finish my sentence. 

I move my face towards hers and kiss her lightly. She kisses me back letting me know she was one hundred percent with it. I place one hand on the side of her face and she continues to kiss me. She places her hand over mine and kisses me harder. 

Peyton’s like my brother so everything about this is wrong but I can’t stop myself. Adalyn’s too beautiful not to touch. I pull back from the kiss to take off my shirt. She looks at me and sits on my bed; her jeans already unbuttoned. Is this really going to happen? She’s no longer with Peyton but that doesn’t make it okay. He’s still in love with her and she’s in love with him. He’s the only guy she’s ever been with in that way; but most of all, he’s my cousin. 

None of these thoughts stop me. I go for it and before I know it, Adalyn and I are fully at it. For me it’s mostly lust, for her…well I can’t say. She’s a great girl and I think I could really like her if it ever came to it but more than likely that’s not going to happen. It was just the heat of the moment. 

When we finish she scrambles to find her clothes. Wet or not, she was in a hurry to go and I’m sure the last thing she wanted to wear was something that reminds her of me and what just happened. 

“I won’t tell Peyton,” I say after we’re fully dressed. “He doesn’t have to know.”

“I think that’s best,” she says barely looking at me. 

“I’ll let him know you stopped by,” I say before she walks out my room. 

“Yeah, thanks,” she replies as she hurries out. 

Well, so much for being one half of the brothers club…

Find out more about Mason and Adalyn in the RED Tragedies series here! Mason and Adalyn appears in A Tragic Heart, RED, Turn It Off (Coming Soon), and What Could've Been (Coming Soon)

.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uninspired (OctPoWriMo2014)-Day 14

Press Stardom (OctPoWriMo2014)-Day 17

Halfway Mark (OctPoWriMo2014)-Day 15